RENEWAL OR REPLACEMENT OF AN RSA CREDIT-CARD-FORMAT DRIVING LICENCE
Kindly note the following before reading this notice:* Your South African driving licence card serves as valid proof that you have a South African driving licence. When your driving licence card expires, it does not mean that your driving licence has expired – only that the card serving as valid proof that you hold such a licence has expired. When you renew your card you will not be expected to undergo a driving licence test.* The process to follow should your driving licence card be lost or stolen is the same as for the renewal of a driving licence card that is about to expire/has expired.
1. Renewal of driving licence card in the case of applicants within the borders of the Republic of South Africa:
1.1 Applicants must submit the following at the appropriate driving licence testing centre (DLTC):
- A duly completed form DL1
- Identification (ID) document Certified copy of the ID document (for filing purposes)
- Four photographs (same format as that required for ID documents)
- The card issuing fee
1.2 The new driving licence card should be available for collection at the DLTC at which the application was submitted within approximately six weeks. If the application for a new card is submitted within 2 months of expiry, the expiry date is extended for 3 months. If the card has already expired at the time of application, an application for a temporary driving licence should be made at the same time.
1.3 If an applicant knows that he or she will be unable to receive the driving licence card in person at the driving licence testing centre, the application must be accompanied by the following:
- A certified copy of the ID document of the person who will collect the card on the applicants behalf
- An affidavit in which the applicant states why he or she will be unable to receive the card in person, and lists the name and ID number of the person who will receive the card on his or her behalf
- The person whose name and ID number appears on the affidavit must, when collecting the card on behalf of the applicant, present his or her ID document
- If an applicant is unable to receive the card in person due to unforeseen circumstances, the person who collects the card on behalf of the applicant must submit the following:
- His or her ID document and a certified copy thereof
- A certified copy of the ID document of the applicant
- An affidavit in which the applicant explains the nature of the unforeseen circumstances preventing him or her from receiving the card in person and lists the name and ID number of the person who will receive the card on his or her behalf
2. Renewal of driving licence card in the case of applicants who reside outside the borders of the Republic of South Africa:
One needs to apply in person for renewal of a driving licence card as new fingerprints, photographs, a signature and an eye test are required.
Should the applicant know that he/she will not be in the country at the time of delivery, he/she may nominate a relative or other person to collect the card on his/her behalf. Such an applicant must follow the procedure explained in 1.3 above. In addition, the applicant must, when personally submitting the application, notify the relevant DLTC that he or she has nominated another person to collect the card upon delivery.
As in the previous instances, such applicants can apply for a temporary driving licence and submit this together with their application for a renewal.
3. Applicants outside the borders of the RSA whose driving licence cards have expired or were lost/stolen and who are not in a position to return to the RSA to have the licence renewed:
The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) is in a position to issue a confirmation letter should such an applicant have a valid licence (this will be established on the eNaTIS). The letter will serve as proof that the applicant does indeed hold a valid licence and this will enable him/her to convert the licence to a foreign driving licence in the country in which he/she currently resides.
Please note that such a confirmation letter cannot be interpreted as a driving licence when presented to a law enforcement official.
Applicants requiring confirmation letters are requested to include their RSA ID number and postal address (to which the letter will be mailed) with their application.