Last Updated on 1 year by Drivers Licence
What you need to take with you:
- Original ID document or Smart Card ID. (An A4 copy of ID is required in Edenvale, Johannesburg. Maybe their photocopiers are broken!).
- Proof of residence. This needs to be an official document not older than three (3) months that clearly states your address, for example, a bank statement, account or utility bill.
- Take a pen with you. They do not have pens there.
- Glasses or contact lenses if needed for driving.
- Your current or expired drivers licence. If your licence has already expired you can take out a temp licence for R90. This is not compulsory and you have to ask for the temporary licence at the cashier. A fee of R90 is payable in cash.
- 2 black and white ID photographs for the temporary licence (optional). You can bring these along. There is also a booth at most testing stations that will take the photographs for you. It is around R50 for a set of 4. In Johannesburg, only 1 photograph (colour or black & white) is required. The Randburg testing centre requires 2x black and white photos for renewal. In Vanderbijlpark, only 1 colour photograph is needed.
- DL1 (green) form. This form can be obtained at the testing centre or online from the eNatis website here. Fill out sections A, B and D. Andrea pointed out in the comments: “I had to use the department’s form because it needs to be in a double sided-A3 format (like a file) so their docs can be inserted in it.” Liam also pointed out that Marlboro does not accept the web form and you have to fill out theirs. One of our readers, Chanel has kindly edited an A3 version of the form here.
- Gauteng users new to book online in advance at https://online.natis.gov.za which will have a list of all Gauteng RTI’s only. The RTMC will pilot the project in Gauteng and will be rolled out to other provinces in future.