When your license disc expires in South Africa, you will need to take the following steps:
- Check your license disc: Make sure you check the expiry date on your license disc and mark it in your calendar so you can renew it before it expires.
- Renew your license disc: If your license disc has expired, you need to renew it as soon as possible. You can renew your license disc at your local licensing authority, online through the eNatis website, or at a post office that provides licensing services. You will need to bring the necessary documents and pay the required fee.
- Pay the penalty fee: If you renew your license disc more than 21 days after it has expired, you will be charged a penalty fee. The penalty fee increases the longer you delay the renewal of your license disc.
- Get a roadworthy certificate: If your vehicle is over a certain age or has undergone significant modifications, you may need to get a roadworthy certificate before you can renew your license disc. The certificate confirms that your vehicle is roadworthy and safe to drive.
- Display the new license disc: Once you have renewed your license disc, you need to affix the new disc to your vehicle immediately. You could be fined if you drive without displaying a valid license disc.
It’s important to note that driving with an expired license disc is illegal and can result in fines or even criminal charges. Therefore, it’s essential to renew your license disc on time to avoid any unnecessary costs or legal complications.